1. Wash your hands and the injection site with soap and water. Dry your hands.
2. Sit or lie in a comfortable position so you can easily see the area of your abdomen where you will be injecting. A lounge chair, recliner or bed propped up with pillows is ideal.
3. Select an area on the right or left side of your abdomen at least 5 cm from your belly button, towards your side.
4. Remember to alternate injection sides (left and right side of abdomen) for each injection.
5. Hold the syringe with the needle pointing away from you. Remove the needle cap, taking care not to touch the needle. The air bubble in the syringe should not be expelled.
6. Hold the syringe in the hand you write with, and with the needle pointing down. With your other hand, gently pinch the selected area of your abdomen between your thumb and forefinger to create a fold of skin. Be sure to hold the skin fold throughout the injection.
Vertically insert the full length of the needle (at a 90o angle) into the skin fold.
7. Press down on the plunger with your thumb or finger. This will deliver the medication into the fatty tissue of your abdomen. Be sure to hold the skin fold throughout the injection.
8. Remove the needle by pulling it straight out, keeping your finger on the plunger. You can now let go of the skin fold. To avoid bruising, do not rub the injection site after completion of the injection.
9. Face the needle away from you and others, and activate the safety lock by firmly pushing the plunger. The protective sleeve will automatically cover the needle and you will hear an audible “click”.
10. Dispose of the syringe into the Sharps Container. Close the lid tightly and place the container out of reach of children. When the container is full, give it to your doctor or home care nurse for disposal. DO NOT put in your household rubbish.
Do’s and Don’ts
DO take CLEXANE Safety Lock at the same time each day, for exactly the number of days your doctor tells you
DO alternate injection sites (left and right side of abdomen) for each injection
DO contact your doctor immediately if you miss a dose, take too much, or experience any side effects
DO always talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about your treatment or the injection instructions
DON’T inject into bruised or scarred areas
DON’T pinch the skin fold too hard
DON’T rub the injection site after injection, as this may cause bruising
There are resources available for you to download which provide useful information on how to inject CLEXANE Safety Lock.
CLEXANE SAFETY LOCK INJECTION INSTRUCTIONS VIDEO
Watch the video below for a step-by-step guide on how to inject CLEXANE Safety Lock:
CLEXANE SAFETY LOCK INJECTION GUIDE
CLEXANE Safety Lock (SL) system 6-step injection guide
Download the instruction leaflet below for a step-by-step guide on how to inject CLEXANE SAFETY LOCK.